Monday, August 15, 2011

The beginning of the end

Life has been busy the last couple weeks, but school work is finally done which means I have a little more time to do what I love (at least without so much guilt).  One of the things I'm spending most my time with is a sewing project.  I am only beginning to learn to sew, so I can't sew clothes, but I can cut and sew straight lines.  That happens to work pretty well with the art of quilting.  Personally, I think it's a great intro to sewing.  I've learned from the lovely ladies in the quilting group at church and I think I can say that any experienced quilter is happy to share their knowledge with us young'ns.  Last Winter/Spring I sewed my first easy star quilt for a friend and her baby.
The quilting ladies give me a hard time about being a perfectionist because I probably spent more time with the seam ripper than the sewing machine on this one, but I was happy with the way it turned out.  Now, I'm speedily working on my next project.  It's a sampler quilt with a few special applique blocks.  What makes it special is that I'm making it for the Lutherhill Gala which is coming up right around the corner so I really need to get movin.  I've gotten several blocks done so far.
It's exciting to see that I've actually learned things, my points are matching up and the blocks are laying flat.  It's a quilting break through!  Now I've got 4 weeks to take them from blocks to an actual finished quilt.  Wish me luck!

The other thing I've been spending some time on......
loading up the trailer with antiques, treasures, and various finds.  These came from an antique store going out of business and I just couldn't resist.  Obviously, I do not need 3 French church pews or a drying rack, but I knew others would find them as beautiful as I do.
They're curvaceous, and worn, and have an irresistible patina.  So....I called up my aunt - a mutual lover of crazy ideas, my co-pilot in junky crime....and the plans are in the works for us to have a booth at the infamous Warrenton Antique Fair!  I have been treasure hunting at this mother-of-all-shows twice a year since I can remember.  Our family farm is just 5 minutes down the road, so I guess I have a whole barn to fill up with everything I can find, repurpose, and create between now and then.  This has started me down a downward spiral of thrifting, estate sale-ing, and picking a la American Pickers, Picker Sisters, Dirty Money, etc.  I love the idea of discovering a jewel of junk, giving it new life, and showing it off/selling it to someone else who finds beauty in the unique and unusual.  Stay tuned to see what else I find and save the date to come see the end results!

No comments:

Post a Comment