Thursday, July 28, 2011

Pretty Pretty Pyrex

I had a few free minutes this morning after our doctor's appointment - so I took the liberty of indulging myself in one of my favorite pastimes....thrifting.  It is sincerely addictive.  I love thrifting because a) there are things coming and going into the store all the time, so you never know what treasures you'll find and b) it's cheap!  Today, I feel like I hit the pyrex jackpot.  I've been collecting pieces here and there as I find them and today I literally struck gold.
I found this entire set of Americana pattern mixing bowls and dishes!  Isn't the design just so rich, warm, and delicious?
 My interest in vintage pyrex got kicked off about a year or so ago when my family and I were digging through old storage buildings at our farm and found entire sets of Spring Blossom and Butterfly Gold mixing bowls still in the box.  I took them home and have shamefully kept them in those boxes in the pantry.  Since then I've picked up pieces from Frost Garland and my favorite is Butterprint.  I have just a couple of the turquoise beauties.
They're all sitting on shelves lovingly being displayed, but that really needs to change.  This stuff was meant to be used!  And who wouldn't love to use such beautiful things when cooking?  It brings a whole new meaning to the joy of cooking!  Without going too far down the rabbit hole, I also use these pretty measuring spoons with hummingbirds I found in Fredericksburg a few years back.  

It's a bit fancy for measuring spoons, but every time I bake with them I think of my Granny who loved the unexpected joy of a hummingbird in her garden.  But back to pyrex.  Why shouldn't something so utilitarian be pretty?  I've always had a warm spot in my heart for those pyrex coffee mugs that adorn every old church I can think of.  You know....these guys...
If your church ever ever gets rid of them....I want them!  Please please please give me a call.  You can learn everything you ever wanted to know about Pyrex and then some, find what will surely become your favorite pattern, and begin our mutual addiction with the help of the lovely folks at Pyrex Love and Pyrex Collective.  Happy hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment